Sunday, June 3, 2007

Friday Night

I had a date on Friday night. And it wasn't with my husband. One of the best things about moving to Austin is that my best friend since childhood, Amy, lives here. It's been so much fun having her to hang out with these last few weeks. Especially after being so friend deprived in Laramie! So anyway, last week she invited me go with her to her Bunco group on Friday night. I was so excited to get out of the house and meet new people! As the day wore on and it closer and closer to Bunco time I felt myself getting more and more excited and even a little bit nervous. Because what if these new people didn't like me? It felt like high school all over again. I took the time to scrounge around in the closet and find clothes that weren't covered in spit up and got dressed to go out. I really didn't want to embarrass Amy by showing up with stains on my clothing. I even put on makeup! I wore eye shadow and mascara and everything! And as a final touch I got out my jewelry box and found a cute little necklace to wear! I felt good. Mike even told me I looked pretty when I asked him "hey do you think I look pretty?" Of course this was after he tried to make me feel guilty about leaving him home alone with Jake. Which didn't work. Now, I have a problem with my imagination. So, on the way over to Amy's house I was thinking about all of the people I would meet at Bunco. And I was thinking of all of the clever things I would say to make them love me. They would be asking Amy at the end of the night why it took her so long to introduce me to them. I was already thinking about how they would call me up next week and ask me to go out and do things with them. Like shopping at the mall or lunch or play dates with the kids. Plus, I had baked a chocolate cake to take with me. Who wouldn't love a person who shows up with cake? Needless to say, nothing could have lived up to the hype I had created in my own mind. It was a fun night and I did meet some very nice people, but so far no one has called to ask me out again. And at the end of the day, the only person that tells me I'm pretty is Mike (who is also pretty fun to hang out with!)

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! I do this too! I think I did it the first time I went to Bunco as well...I hope you at least had some fun even if it didn't meet your expectations! And you looked beautiful as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even though we are in our 20s and 30s, we still feel like high schoolers sometime; i totally agree. it's interesting that when i was younger, i think i really believed that i would have alot of stuff figured out by the time i got "older" and well, i still haven't! i'm still insecure at times, too, want to be accepted, etc. you aren't alone! and all those bunco girls are missing out...give me some numbers and i'll call them for you and brag on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim you always look pretty! You are too hard on yourself....my god look at me! lol Anyway WHAT'S WRONG WITH LARAMIE! Other then having friends like you two THAT MOVE AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! At least you got out! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete