Thursday, July 2, 2009

Do we really need to eat and stuff?

My most dreaded task of any week is going to the grocery store. I try to create a menu for the week, make a detailed list and get everything I need for the week in one trip. Alas, it never seems to work out. Even with my detailed list I end up needing to go back a day or two later for a few last minute items. It sucks. Sure, I try to tell myself that the dog doesn't really need to eat until next week, but then he gives me those puppy dog eyes and I always cave in and go back to get him his food. I'm not a creative cook so if the recipe calls for parsley and we don't have any I HAVE to go back to the store to get the parsley instead of looking around and saying hey maybe this cilantro would work instead. All this to say, I feel like I spend the majority of my free time in the HEB. I would much rather be spending my free time at Starbucks or Target or a spa or even a pit full of vipers than being at the grocery store.

For starters, if you don't get there early in the morning or late evening you can expect to be assaulted by wall to wall grocery carts, people with B.O. and at least one screaming child making his mama go bonkers as she tries to bribe him with cookies or donuts to get him to just be quiet for a minute while I finish my shopping! Not that I've ever done that. I'm just sayin'.

My main reason for dreading the weekly (daily) trip to the store is that it eats up so much of my time. It's like I enter some sort of time warp as soon as I step through those automatic doors. I always spend at least an hour to an hour and a half on my weekly trip. Yesterday, I went in to get six things. Six things! And it took me thirty minutes to get out of there. Crazy. Of course, I did spend a few minutes in the frozen food section just opening the doors and standing in front of various frozen things to cool off. Come to think of it, there were quite a few people doing the same thing. Have I mentioned it's hotter than the sun here? I thought about crawling into the ice cream freezer and laying down with my arms around a half gallon of Blue Bell mint chocolate chip but someone beat me to it. Plus, that would have turned my thirty minute trip into an hour long escapade and who has the time?

3 comments:

  1. That is so ironic that you write about this topic.
    I wait until the last possible moment before I hit the store.
    I dread grocery shopping, I dread making a meal plan.....
    it is only when my kids are stuck with water to drink that I get the hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you make a special trip to the store for parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How ironic. Now let's remember I don't have any kids. I dread thinking and planning for the grocery store cuz it usually has to wait until I have finished my day full of working with kids. But once I get in, it is great! I go up and down almost every isle just to see what's there. I go into the bakery section just to smell the fresh bread. I start to salivate a little thinking about all the fun things we can now make.

    I too am there for an hour, and I am only shopping for two adults! But, I do spend a good 10 minutes looking at wine. Start investing in dried spices (like parsley) so if you forget the fresh stuff you can just use the backup spice rack.

    ReplyDelete