Friday, April 10, 2009

Things that suck

We finally got moved into our new although temporary house. It's huge with too much space for us but it sits on four acres and Jake and Brady have loads of room to roam around on. All I'm going to say about the move itself is that moving sucks. The end. Thanks to friends and family again for all of your help. Rob and Chantal, you guys went above and beyond the call of duty. I know, I said duty.

In order to get back our deposit on the old house, we had to have it professionally cleaned and we had to get the carpets professionally steam cleaned. Mike found a lady at work who supposedly cleans houses for a living. She agreed to clean the house for $150 to $175. Seems a little steep, but if you call the big cleaning companies around here they'll charge you more than that. Now, the place was a mess because we all know that I stopped cleaning at least two months ago. However, when I went over to see what kind of a job she had done, I was so disappointed. The stove was still a mess. The baseboards and windowsills had not been cleaned. The bathrooms were not up to par. Basically, she did a good job vacuuming and that's about it. I didn't want to pay her the full $170 but of course we did because Mike knows her and all. The carpet cleaners locked all of the deadbolts in the house on their way out which means no one can get into the house because the keyless deadbolts were also locked. It's going to cost us $100 to get someone to break into the house now. Apparently, the dog did some damage to the back door so that will be coming out of our deposit as well. From what I can tell, it's costing us at least $600 to move out of that darn house.

Finally, let's go back to the carpet cleaners. When I went over to the house to let them in they were very friendly and introduced themselves to me and started chatting. Next thing I know one of them is looking at me and he says and I quote, "Let me guess, about five months right?" I was very confused. Was he asking me if we had lived in that house for five months? That's when he patted his tummy and said "You're about five months pregnant right?" Oh, mister, no you didn't. Father forgive him for he knows not what he does. So, I said "Uh, no. I had a baby four weeks ago." Awkard silence. Birds chirpping in the background. And then he gives me this big smile and says "Oh! I'm sorry. Congratulations!" I have never wanted to kick someone in the teeth so bad in all my life. He just took all of my insecurities and put them right out there in the open.

What was he thinking? Doesn't he know you never assume someone is pregnant? As my BFF Amy said, you should never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you see a head exiting her body. At least I think that's what she said. It was kind of hard to make out her words through all of the giggling and snorting going on. Perhaps I shouldn't be wearing yoga pants and tank tops so soon after giving birth. I was going for comfort and easy nursing access, but it looks like I'll have to pull out some baggy pants and large t-shirts to make it through the summer in so that this doesn't happen again. I am still really insulted. I know I'm still swollen and yes even a little fat, but there is no way I look five months pregnant right now. Four months maybe, but not five! I'm going to go lick my wounds now and eat a plate full of chocolate chip cookies to make myself feel better. Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh kim... I love you andy our stories and miss you SOOOOO MUCH! Thanks for the entertainment... I cant beleive that guy said that to you! Atleast your baby is less than a year old... I was asked that when aftyn was 1 and a half! grr... and it was a WOMAN! Inconsiderate People are stupid~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! I even hate it when strangers assume I'm pregnant - and I am! ;p

    I was purchasing some much needed maternity clothes recently and I overheard the cashier telling another customer (who WASN'T pregnant) that she NEVER asks people how far along they are because she'd been asked when she wasn't pregnant.

    So I get up to the cash register and she immediately asks, "So when are you due?" ;o I wanted SO badly to give her a dumb look and say, "Excuse me?! I don't know what you're talking about!" But since I had maternity clothes to buy I just told her "September" and she informed me that I'd picked the worst season to be pregnant in Austin. THANKS very much, lady!

    People say stupid things.

    ReplyDelete