Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What in the world have we gotten ourselves into

Emma is going through a really fussy period right now. Thankfully, Amy volunteered to babysit yesterday so I could have a few hours to myself while Jake was at school. This was a much needed break and I felt like a new person when I went to pick up the kids later.

I had the most fun perusing the aisles of Target with my Starbucks mocha in hand. After Target, I headed over to Steinmart and found some non-maternity clothes that fit. I didn't even care that they're a size larger than what I normally wear. It just felt good to try on clothes that fit. I also got to go to Old Navy, Borders, and I went and had my eyebrows waxed. Wow! I haven't spent this much time and energy on myself in at least a year. It was so nice that last night I didn't really mind when it took forever to get Emma to sleep.

And I think those few hours of freedom are what's getting me through today. As I write this, I'm feeling like nothing more than a walking, human pacifier. I really wonder if the word Binky is written across my forehead. Emma woke up at 5am for a feeding which is pretty normal. What is not normal is that she wouldn't go back to sleep. Not until 9am. And then she just slept for an hour and a half. The rest of the day has been pretty rough. If she's not nursing, she's crying. I'm worn out. My boobs have taken on a shape not commonly seen in nature. I'm seriously considering bottle feedings from now on. Selfish, party of one, your table is now ready.

I love my baby but I have to say I'm counting down the days until she hits three months. That seems to be the magic age where everyone says things will get better and babies are able to get on some sort of schedule. Also, the non-stop crying is supposed to stop at three months. So, the way I see it, we have six more weeks until some sort of normalcy returns to our household.

But if it turns out that three months isn't the magic number then I may need a few more hours to myself for another day of shopping. By then, I figure I'll be over the clothes and looking for something more along the lines of a good margarita making machine.

3 comments:

  1. Kim, I wish I lived closer, I'd RUN to your rescue. You ask how I keep the house so clean and organized... its called BOREDOM... AND UNABLE TO GO OUTSIDE WITHOUT FREEZING TO DEATH... have you forgotten what Laramie is truely like already! haha! Oh my dear, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. I wish I could help in a tangible way. Praying for you and hoping she will take a great nap for you tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim! I'm available after work most any day and certainly on the weekends! Give me a call if you want an escape like this! You know I love your little munchkins! :)

    ReplyDelete