Friday, September 21, 2012

Dolly's and Piggy's

This morning Emma Mae and I got to watch my friend's little girl, Dolly. We had so much fun! It was nice to catch up with my girl Eva also. Emma Mae thought it was great to have someone a little bit younger here that she could try to boss around. Dolly wasn't really having it though.

Jake decided he wanted to ride the bus home from school today. He ran off the bus carrying a backpack I didn't recognize screaming "that was so much fun!" As soon as he got in the house I started questioning him about the class snack time today. It was our turn to bring snack and you can bet I wasn't going to do the purple grape thing again. But I also didn't want to go out and buy Goldfish crackers or anything. They don't really fit into my vision of us not eating processed food right now. So yesterday I decided to make mini muffins for the kids. And yes, sugar and white flour are processed, but Rome wasn't built in a day. This is a work in progress. Plus, I don't know how to make things taste good without sugar. Anyhow, yesterday I baked three different types of mini muffins. I knew the kids would probably like the banana chocolate chip and the blueberry ones. But I wasn't sure if they would give the pumpkin oat bran muffins a chance. Because those muffins were ugly with a capital UG. So I told Jake to talk them up and I wrote the teacher a note assuring her that they were really good.

Well. When I asked Jake if the muffins were a hit at snacktime he said "well, there was one person who liked the pumpkin ones." And I was like "only one?" And he said "yes." And I said, "was it you?" And he said it was his friend Cason. Cason totally rocks. You know I couldn't let it go. So I asked him if everybody else liked the other muffins. And he was like "my favorite color is green." Or something like that. He totally changed the subject. So then I asked him if the kids at least liked the cute little monster baggies I put the muffins in and he said "oh yeah!" So, in short, I'm glad I was so caught up in providing a semi-healthy non highly processed snack for the children today that I spent hours of my time yesterday baking up a storm. Also, when am I going to get it through my head that Kindergarten is not about me already? Still, sometimes I really wish I could go to school with Jake for a day so I could see what's really going on up there. Maybe I could put a hidden camera in Jake's backpack. But that would probably violate someones civil rights. Or maybe I could go ahead and get my own life now.

Oh. Let's get back to the extra backpack that Jake was carrying when he ran off the bus. He got chosen by his PE teacher today (for good behavior!) to bring home a backpack with a special stuffed pig and a bunch of games and activities Jake is supposed to do with this pig over the weekend. Then we have to record all of the fun in a journal and give everything back on Monday. They also said that pictures of the student with the pig would be great. So, Jake comes out of his room tonight with this poor little pink toy pig stuffed all the way down his pants with just it's head poking out over the top. And he wants me to take his picture. For the journal. And I was like "honey, I don't think that's the kind of picture your teacher was talking about." Now, let's take the pig out of your pants. And possibly give it a bath. Then he posed for a more appropriate picture of him with Piggy Wiggy.


We're going camping tomorrow for one night and we will be taking Piggy with us. Hopefully we can get some pictures of them together with Jake fully clothed.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that this post made me feel better about my kids...what is it with boys and putting things down their pants....although now I am worried it was a one time thing for Jake and there really is something wrong with Liam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, jake does this frequently. i just didn't want to mention it in case it was abnormal...

      Delete