Thursday, October 11, 2012

My new bandwagon

I am completely hooked on this blog right now. I've been flirting with giving up or at least cutting back on sugar and white flour for awhile now. The problem is that I really love sugar. And sugar goes really well with white flour. Also, whole wheat flour just tastes weird to me when you put it in baked goods. And I love to bake. It's my therapy.

Anyhow, I've been reading the 100 Days of Unprocessed Food blog and she has some really great ideas and lots of menus to give you ideas about how to eat whole, real, unprocessed foods. So I told the family that we were going to try this out for a week to see how it goes. And Mike was like "um, ok, I might cheat when you're not around." And Jake was like "Yeah! I want to eat healthy! Do you have any cookies?" And Emma Mae was like "these pants are itching me!" And I was like "whatever. you guys will eat what I cook."

So we started on Monday. I made these delicious whole wheat cinammon waffles. Everyone ate them but Jake. Then for dinner that night I made whole wheat crust pizza. And Jake said it tasted funny. Apparently his taste buds are highly sensitive to the whole wheat flour thing. He hasn't been happy with anything I've made where I've had to substitute it for white flour. Very frustrating. Then today I made Emma Mae some mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta and she totally rebelled. Hmm. So far I feel like this is not going so well.

I actually don't think it's that bad. I made it sugar free/ white flour free all day Monday and Tuesday. And guess what? I lost two pounds! I also didn't feel the need to take a nap at noon! Then on Wednesday, I cheated and had a piece of Papa John's pizza at work and then one of the mom's in our class brought Jana and I a big chocolate frosted brownie as a treat. I was totally sabatoged. Sure, I could have given Jana the whole brownie and not said anything to the mom. But do you really think I'm strong enough to turn down a frosted brownie? The answer is no. My flesh is so weak. And that brownie was so good. Alas, I gained back the two pounds. And I had to lay down for awhile when I got home from work.

I was really hoping to see if the lack of sugar would make it easier for the kids to focus. Unfortunately, Emma Mae was given Goldfish crackers at a play date and Jake's class got rewarded for good behavior yesterday with ice cream sandwiches. Why do we reward ourselves in our society with sugar filled  processed goods? Oh yeah, because they taste good. But we are going to try to make it through four more days of cleaner eating. And then we will probably reward ourselves with a trip to the ice cream shop.  

3 comments:

  1. I was doing SO well eating clean before the summer hit me and I went to visit family and was around all the yummy restaurants. Since then I just cannot get back to it even though I felt 1000 times better doing it. Frustrating so I feel your pain. I never attempted to have my kids do it either. Maybe when Jon gets back we will try to be better. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i'm having the toughest time with snacks and "treats". i've conditioned the kids to have my sweet tooth so it's really hard to change their tastes now! and any snack food you buy in a box or bag is full of stuff i can't pronounce. i'm trying not to buy anything with more than five ingredients listed on it. that is hard. good luck to you too my friend!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you! I just discovered this blog, too...and I want to overhaul my kitchen! It really makes you think...all the crap we eat. Switching to whole wheat was not an issue for us, but sugar is tougher. I love to bake too...and I've just decided we'll change everything else, but have treats as we like them once in a while. We're buying much more produce and less boxed stuff. It takes time to think about it, but I'm convinced we'll be better for it.

    ReplyDelete