Monday, August 18, 2008

Reunited and it feels so good

I apologize for the lack of activity here at Little Mama lately. Jake and I took another summer vacation last week to visit my parents. My nephew went with us, thank goodness, because he was a big help with the little man on the plane ride. We had a lot of fun running my parents ragged all week long. However, I think my nephew Tom, (who is a very laid back kind of guy) may have been ready to be rid of his little cousin by the end of the week. Just as our plane was landing back home he looked at me and said "I've had just about enough of Jake for awhile." Well, then. I couldn't be mad at him because I was thinking the same thing! Oh, I kid. I do understand how a 20 month old could cramp a 13 year old's style.

Anyway, while I was at my parents house my faith in humanity was restored! I love it when that happens. Last summer on a family vacation, my dad lost his college class ring in a river while tubing down it. We all felt really bad about this because we kind of talked him into going tubing even though he was a little reluctant about it. Some crazy talk about being too old. We convinced him to go and somehow in the fast current that day his ring came off and he wasn't able to get it back. This is a ring that he's had for over 30 years. It was more like an appendage than a piece of jewelry. After he lost it, he told me that he always thought he would be buried wearing that ring. Well, great. In our attempt to help our daddy recapture his youth we destroyed his final death wish. We all felt crummy.

My parents talked about replacing the ring, but the school he graduated from has since changed names and I guess it was just a big hassle. Plus, I think he decided that if it wasn't the original ring it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort. I think he didn't want to be buried with an imposter.

So anyway, while we were at their house last week, someone from my dad's college called up and said that a lady was looking for him because she had his class ring. It was truly a miracle. Her son had found it in the river almost a year to the day that it was lost. First of all, they were diligent enough to find the owner. His name was inscribed inside the ring but unfortunately, his first name was mis-spelled. So they had to make a few phone calls to track him down. Secondly, they were honest enough to return it to him instead of selling it for all its worth. And lastly, they didn't want anything in return. Just wanted to see it returned to its rightful owner. Wow. If only people in airports could be so kind.

2 comments:

  1. Ok...that is the best story!!!! I am sooooo happy for your Dad! What an amazing gift. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing. I only hear about stuff like that in the papers and on TV. I bet your dad couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete