Monday, September 6, 2010

Elmo's been saved!


Our church just completed building a beautiful outdoor baptismal. I wish I had a picture to show you but just picture a large circular pool surrounded by rock with cascading water flowing over the top. It's gorgeous. They have a cover for it. However, when church is in session the cover comes off. To show off its beauty I suppose.

I've already begun praying about the day we will stand beside this baptismal and watch Jake and Emma make a public committment of their faith in Jesus. I just never imagined that one of their "lovies" would beat them to the punch.

Imagine being a three year old walking outside by this large "pool". Imagine carrying one of your favorite stuffed toys with you as you pass by. Imagine being a child who is infatuated with the ocean and being someone who turns every toy he owns into an object that is "swimming in the ocean." Do you see where I'm going with this? I didn't get all of the details, but this is what I pieced together from Jake's Sunday school class. They went for a walk by the baptismal. Jake was carrying Elmo with him. Elmo took a flying leap into the baptismal. Someone rescued him. Elmo was drenched and it was recommended that I give him a turn in the washing machine when we got home. He smelled a little chlorine-y.

I've often thought that Jake is going to grow up to be an actor. He's just very dramatic. Now, I'm thinking maybe a preacher. I think I'll send a different toy with him next week and see if he baptizes it as well. Before long, his entire toy collection could be saved and he'll be well on his way to a very rewarding vocation.

1 comment: