Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mama's Day

I had a nice Mother's Day this year. I got my favorite flowers-purple tulips. Mike had to go to work but he managed to get up early and surprise me with breakfast in bed. He and the kids brought me cream cheese stuffed french toast and a yogurt parfait. Yum. They brought me the food on a tray and left it in bed for me and then they all went out to the kitchen to eat together. I have to admit I was lonely. I rolled myself out of bed (which takes some time these days) and took my plate into the kitchen to eat with my peeps. I also have to say I have some sort of weird feelings about eating in bed. It seems kind of gross. Not to mention the fact that I can't get comfy because we have no headboard to lean up against. I just prefer to eat at a table. Thoughts?

The kids and I hung out at home rather than going to church. I really wanted to be at church but sitting causes me great pain these days and the thirty minute car ride didn't seem like something I should subject myself to on Mother's Day. So, instead we played a little Chris Rice and Doug Crowder Band on the you-tube and had a service at home.

I played the Mother's Day card all day long. You know the one where the kids are hitting each other or whining or complaining and you say "I really wish ya'll could act nice today since it's Mother's Day." Or "it would be really great if you could obey mommy today since we're celebrating the fact that I gave you life." Have any other mama's out there played that card? Surely I'm not the only one. It worked like a charm on Jake. Emma, however, seems to be too young to be influenced by guilt. She still managed to be a little stinker.

I love my babies though and am happy to finally get to celebrate being a mama. I'll leave you with a conversation I had with Jake today. We were sitting on the couch when he looked at me and said "mommy, I have sticky hair." So, I'm looking at his hair to see what he managed to get in there at lunch time but then I see that he is looking at the hair on his legs. So I said "whatever do you mean, Jacob?" And he said that someone must have put glue on his legs before they put the fur on there because no matter how hard he tried to pull that hair off his legs it just keeps sticking!

1 comment:

  1. I tried "can't you just be good for me for one day. It's my birthday" when that did not work 2 days later I tried it substituting mother's day. It did not work then either. But they may have been borrowing a page out of Jon's book because he slept in while I had to get up with the kids.
    The story about the hair cracked me up!!!!

    ReplyDelete