Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It takes a village...not just some crazy lady in the park

Today when Turbo and I got to the park we found it already inhabited by several older kids and one little cutie named Lexi who is two years old. The older kids were maybe fifth or sixth graders and it looked like they were in charge of Lexi for the day. Because every now and then one of them would look up and say "hey, where's Lexi?" And they would all frantically search until they found her.

Now, I don't mind sharing the park with other people. I usually like it when another mom is there with her kids because it just makes the time go by faster. And we've already established that the park is a good place to pick up other moms. However, although most of these kids seemed nice enough there was one little hoodlum who had the baseball cap turned backwards, the pants hanging down to his knees and some bling on. And oh my, if you could have heard his language and you were dead, you would have rolled over in your grave. I could NOT believe the way this kid was talking. And the other kids were trying to tell him to be quiet or "that lady over there is gonna get mad!" But he did not care about "that lady". Even though I was standing there staring him down, tapping my foot on the ground with my hands on my hips. Did not care. Kept up the language.

So my question is, when is it okay for me to say something to these little people? I understand the whole freedom of speech thing, but really does this apply to kids? We don't let them have the freedom to bear arms so should they really be allowed the freedom to bear a potty mouth? I do remember being in the sixth grade and what it was like to explore your growing independence. My best friend at the time and I actually sat in her room one day saying every cuss word we had ever heard or read over and over again just to show each other that we could. But, it just wasn't us. At the end of our profane litany we decided that cussing was dumb and I don't think either one of us did it again until the college era.

So, what are these kids thinking? And with a two year old present! Not to mention Turbo, who by the way, chose to laugh hysterically the first time "hoody" said the "f" word. Dear God.

Anyhow, I DID say something to one of the other kids when I saw him contemplating hanging from a tree branch by a plastic pole he had with him. I told him "hey, I'm not your mother, but I really don't think that's a good idea." And he laughed and tried it anyway and fell twelve feet down and landed on his back in a screaming heap of boyhood. Clearly, they were very interested in my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that happening when I was a kid and I was with my Dad, and the offenders were some teenagers. My dad told them to cut it out (I remember that phrase specifically) and then he said something about he had his kids with him. They listened to him and cut it out-no offense but not so sure those kids would have listened to you (or me), but I think I still would have politely asked them to not talk that way until we left. I tell ya....today's youth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You have every right to ask them not to talk that way around your child. Yes, it is a public place, but they are not using language appropriate for said place. They are sixth graders, just be strong. Don't ask them politely, tell them firmly to flush the potty mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's totally appropriate to say something, politely, yet firmly to kids that are talking like that..."You know, my baby doesn't know any of those words yet and I'd love to keep it that way. Maybe you could take a break for a little bit while we are here? Thanks." I can't believe that one kid fell. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete