Friday, June 6, 2008

It's a Wilderness out There

Mike and I have been watching this show on the Discovery Channel called The Alaska Project lately. Basically, it's like Survivor without all the games and cash prizes at the end. And since it's freezing in Alaska you don't have to see these people running around with little to no clothing on.

So, they drop four small groups of people off in four different locations for three months and tell them to try to survive the best they can. There is an "expert survival person" lurking around somewhere so these people don't get themselves killed. It's been very interesting. They had to learn to hunt goats and birds. They learned how to fish for salmon and stay away from bears and wolves. They battled cabin fever and really harsh conditions. We've really enjoyed watching it together. The problem is that during every episode Mike looks at me and says "we could SO do this." And I smile and nod and think to myself "no way in hell."

I fully believe that we could go somewhere a little more, I don't know, tropical and survive off the land for three months. But I know in my heart of hearts I wouldn't last two days in Alaska in the winter time. Because I don't like to be cold. I think I could handle the hiking, but the hypothermia would really get to me. I would whine. I would become unbearable to be around. I know this because in high school I got roped into going on a ski trip in New Mexico with our youth group. My friend Paige who was a much better skier than me took me to the top of this mountain where I experienced first hand what it's like to have altitude sickness and minor hypothermia. I remember at one point just falling over in the snow with my skis on and telling her to go on without me. I was just going to "rest" there for awhile. The truth is I really wanted to just go towards the light that was beckoning to me. We had been on the mountain for maybe 45 minutes. Ski patrol had to come get me and take me down on a snow mobile. Then I had to stay in this tent thing for awhile receiving oxygen. Not pretty.

I'm all for doing some kind of challenge with Mike because I think it would be a great experience. But I was kind of hoping for a chance to be on The Amazing Race or maybe a couples edition of "Survivor". At least on Survivor I could get my tan on during our down time. Instead of having to chop wood or gut a goat or something. I am just not hard core enough for The Alaska Experiment. I just don't want Mike to know that because I want him to think I'm hard core. But seriously ya'll, please don't let him take me to Alaska unless it's for a vacation. With a hotel nearby. And some whale watching. Please.

2 comments: