Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy 2010!

I'm in a bit of a turmoil with the year 2010. Mainly because I was born in 1970 so if my math is correct that means I'll be turning 40 freakin' years old this year. In twenty one days to be exact. I'll be saving my freaking out about my age post for later in the month though. Right now I think I'll just think about the most memorable things that happened in 2009. It was a pretty good year.

Number 1: First and foremost the most memorable thing that happened in '09 was the birth of Emma Mae. It was also the best thing that happened last year. She is the completion of our family (unless of course we're called to adoption sometime in the future). I remember her first cry in the hospital and thinking "good Lord, why is there a wild cat in here?" She is the exact little girl I prayed for in every way. God is good.

Number 2: The reaction that Jake had to Emma Mae's coming into the world. Don't get me wrong. He LOVES her. They are good friends. He loved her before she was even born. It's just that when he saw her in the hospital for the first time I think he changed his opinion of her for just a moment. He wanted nothing to do with her or me. The thing I remember most is bringing her home and having Jake wake up from his nap only to discover me back home sitting in the rocker holding Emma. His face just fell. I'm convinced that his heart broke for the first time. I could tell that he was thinking "what is SHE doing in MY mommy's lap?" It was the first time my heart broke for my child. I wanted to weep and apologize for changing his little world so radically. The memory of his face at that moment is etched into my mind forever. Ever think about how someone's life can change in an instant? How the person they would have become changes to someone completely different because of a decision either they made or someone else made for them? Jake's life changed forever when Emma was born. I'm just betting it changed for the better.

Number 3: We moved twice in a period of four months. The first time when Emma was just a few weeks old. What I remember is how our friends and family helped us out so much and we got through a very stressful time.

Number 4: We bought our first house! It has been so much fun (and work) getting everything decorated and set up. We're still not finished. Just a big work in progress.

Number 5: Okay, I know it's probably time to let this go. However, I can't seem to forget the carpet cleaner guy who asked me if I was about four months pregnant after I had already had Emma. Way to go dude. Never ask a woman if she's pregnant. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment