Friday, February 8, 2008

High School Reunion

My twenty year high school reunion is right around the corner. That's right, I said twenty. How is it possible that it has been twenty years since I (and my big ole eighties style hair) graced the halls of Amarillo High School? I really can't believe it. When I told Mike he said, "WOW! I haven't even had my ten year reunion yet!" Um, hon? Not helping.

I didn't go to the ten year reunion because the pain of my high school days was just still too fresh and also I felt like a pretty big loser at the time. I was out of college working at the Hyatt answering phones for about $7.50 an hour, not using my degree in the least, wasn't married, and felt like my life wasn't going anywhere. I just couldn't stand the thought of seeing all those people from the past and having to answer questions about myself when I was sure they were all married, having babies, and were probably multi-millionaire's by then. Oh, and also I was afraid no one would remember me without my Bon Jovi style hair-do.

So, fast forward ten more years and I'm feeling pretty good about life now. Things started looking up in my thirties. Amy and I have been talking about going to this reunion and I was pretty excited at first. But the closer it gets, the more misgivings I have about going. First of all, it would require some major working out on my part so I could be in the best possible shape ever. Secondly, it seems they can't find almost half of our graduating class. And lately, I've been reminded of some of the bone headed things I did and said back in high school and I'm concerned that other people out there might also remember them. But on the other hand (and probably the more realistic of my hands) I'm still thinking that most people just won't remember me. So then, why bother with going? It would be fun if I ran into some of my old friends that I've lost touch with but what are the odds that those are the people who will show up? It will probably just be the popular crowd who shunned me in my formative years and why would I want to talk to them now? These are the same people who pelted me and my fellow band members with tennis balls while we were practicing for marching band one summer. I mean I could impress them with all of my accomplishments like owning my own business, being on the Oprah show, and winning the Nobel Peace Prize and all. Oh, wait, none of that has happened yet. Anyhow, I keep thinking that I spent three years of my life not being able to wait to get out of high school and I just don't know if I'm ready to go back yet. Maybe I'll just wait and go to the fifty year. That sounds good.

7 comments:

  1. I think I am excited out of curiosity...you know to see everyone else. I don't care (honestly) about how they look at me. If you don't go, I will bring you back a T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i would wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simple fact that you can go with your best friend....you both would have fun no matter what.
    I went to my 10 year....it still felt too much like high school. I hear this one starts becoming more realistic...though, I will NOT be going to mine. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, go! and you have one of your closest friends that will go with you...what more do you need?! :) you might miss out and regret not going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should go. It's been long enough where they won't be laughing at you, but with you kinda thing. You know you and Amy are just going to sit there the whole time and make fun of everyone else anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've sat by long enough and let you trash yourself. You and Amy and Paige and Heather were the cutest ones up there. I know because I was up there with you. The teachers loved you because you were so smart. Mr. Biggers still asks about you. Now, if I have to, I will take my name off the blog. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, i'm leaning towards going. thanks for the validation, mama! you can still keep participating in the comments section...

    ReplyDelete