Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby Got Back (and front apparently)

So, I met Amy for lunch today and it had been a few weeks since we had seen each other. As soon as she saw me she started laughing hysterically and said something like "Oh, I wasn't expecting you to be SO big." So I said, "well, I've only got two more months to go." And she said something like "exactly, imagine how big you'll be in two months!" This is my best friend.

Granted, she has reminded me that when I saw her for the first time after she got pregnant I did the same thing. But in my defense, I hadn't seen her at all in that pregnancy until the very end because I lived out of state. And having never been pregnant at that time, I was a little shocked at the stature of a really preggo person. Especially since she is normally tall and slim.

I'm short. And there is no place for this baby or this weight to go but straight out. My belly is huge. I also noticed that for some reason I was having a hard time maneuvering between tables at the restaurant today. I think my belly actually brushed up against a couple people and maybe I was feeling a little self conscious because of all the laughing by my best friend in the parking lot, but I felt like everyone in there was looking at me and thinking "Oh my, she's big!" It was kind of like being back in junior high and thinking all the kids were watching me bring my hot fries and chocolate sundae I bought at the snack bar for lunch to a table just waiting for me to fall down or do something really stupid. Oh, the pressure!

Anyhow, I think Amy and I are even now. We've both laughed at the other ones size and discomfort in pregnancy. The good thing is we can both get past it and still be friends. Right, Amy?

3 comments:

  1. It just means that Emma is growing in there! Hope I didn't offend you. What do they call that--poker face? I don't have one. You look happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you didn't offend! i actually thought it was funny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also remember this is your second kid so everything is already stretched so you are bigger through no fault of your own. At least that is what I tried to tell myself when I was pregnant with my second.

    ReplyDelete