Friday, January 23, 2009

It's birthday week here at Little Mama

Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm just gonna put it all out there and let ya'll know that I will be 39. This is my last year in the thirties. I really hadn't thought that much about it until last night. Maybe it was because I was up off and on all night from 12:30 on and having terrible leg cramps and back pain, but I just started panicking about my age. That's when I realized that if this is my last year being thirty something then that means that next year I will be 40. That just sounds old. How can someone who still feels 20 something be coming around the mountain to 40? And how can my hubby only be 27? Apparently I married someone who is the age I hoped to remain.

Actually, that's not true. If I'm being honest, my twenties pretty much sucked. I was working (too hard) at a job I felt no passion for, trying to "find" myself, and praying daily for a hubby and a chance to have babies. But my thirties have been really good times. I'm reluctant to leave them behind. I made a move to California that changed my life, found a job that fulfilled some of my wildest dreams, met my hubby, had baby number one and am waiting patiently for baby number two. The thirties have been good to me and I'm not willing to let them go just yet. So in the words of Tim McGraw I think I'll live this last year of thirtydom like I was dying. I'm going to do things I wouldn't normally do, stop putting off things I want to do, and just generally have fun. I'm not sure how this is going to work since there will be a newborn here in a couple months, but I'll figure it out.

In the meantime, my official birthday week has begun. I declared its start date Wednesday night which means I have until next Tuesday at midnight to be spoiled rotten because it's my birthday. Let me just tell you of all the birthday excitement so far. It actually got kicked off last Friday when Leslie and I got the chance to go out without kids to celebrate our upcoming birthdays. We were living on the edge and went to Sonic for burgers and then out to a movie. I recommend seeing Bride Wars. It's a cute chick flick. Yesterday, Amy and I decided to celebrate our birthdays by heading over to Starbucks. After having coffee cake and high caloric beverages (at least on my part) she thought it would be a good idea to go have lunch. Who am I to say no? So not ten minutes after finishing my meal at the coffee shop we were eating burritos at Taco Bueno. That's a good way to kick off your 39th year.

Mike has been spoiling me by cooking dinner all week and tomorrow night we'll be heading out on an official date. As for my last day of being 38? I'll be living it up going to the doctor this morning and cleaning (I'm using that term very loosely)the house this afternoon. But look out 39! It's going to be a great year.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot to include the part that you stocked up on Girl Scout cookies from an adorable little girl! On Jan 19th, Addison announced to me "This is your last day to be 38!"
    Have a great day tomorrow!
    p.s. I thought Bride Wars looked really stupid so I am glad to hear it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Live it up girl, you are only as old as you feel. Your stories or your thirties makes me look forward to mine even more! I have noticed life settling down (not looking to party all the time), and just doing things and being with ones that really make you happy. Not doing things to make others happy. I am liking this decade. Use the entire week to it's fullest extent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a really awsome birthday. I miss the days in california too mostly because I miss hanging out with u.

    ReplyDelete