Friday, January 16, 2009

Isn't he too young for this?

Yesterday around 4:00 two little girls from our neighborhood rang the doorbell and asked if Jake could come to the park and play with them. They are very sweet nine year olds and one of them named Maddie is always at the park when we go to play. She loves pushing Jake in the swing and running around with him. So we thought it was very cute when she showed up asking for him to play.

We told her we would bring him to the park to meet them in a few minutes. Then I turned to Jake and said "wanna go play with Maddie?" I have never seen him so excited! He ran to the door saying "Maddie!" Needless to say, they had a good time playing together and Mike and I got a chance to sit on the sidelines and watch. We were kind of joking around about how much Jake loves Maddie when Mike turned to me and reminded me that the difference in their age is very similar to the difference in our ages. Which made me cringe. He is too young to be falling in love for the first time. She's a sweet girl and all but I'm seriously hoping he just thinks of her as a big sister. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when I told him it was time to go home. He did NOT want to leave his Maddie. So, just like a girl she saw a boy crying and decided it was time to take off. She just jumped on her bike and said "see ya later, Jake!" Meanwhile, it was mama who had to console him and dry up all his tears. I did this with the promise of cookies when we got home. Bribery. Works every time. I hope cookies can still mend his broken heart when he becomes a teenager. Because as cute as he is, something tells me this isn't the last time some girl's gonna leave him at the park with his mama.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this will give you some idea of my problem when you received a rose corsage, gold necklace (that belonged to his Mom) and several other things in kindergarten. Have fun Jake. Love MeMaw

    ReplyDelete