Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jake and Emma

Several people keep asking how Jake is adjusting to being a big brother. I'm happy to report that he seems to love it! There were a couple of shaky moments in the beginning, but he loves his baby sister and is really into being helpful when it comes to Emma.

The day Emma was born Mike's dad brought Jake up to the hospital to meet her. He would not even look in her direction and he completely ignored me. He seemed so mad at me! However, the next day when they came to the hospital I bribed him with a cookie so he would sit in bed beside me and I could give him some hugs and squeezes. Then he seemed ready to meet little sister. Mike brought Emma over and put her in Jake's lap and he carefully put his little arm on her legs. I think he gave her a hug or a kiss and then he looked at me and said "All done, enough!" And that was that.

The next day we left the hospital to go home and when we arrived Jake was still taking his nap. When he woke up and came downstairs to find me home holding Emma in my arms, his face just crumbled. I have never seem him look so sad. He didn't even say anything. He just kept rubbing his eyes and had big old crocodile tears coming down his cheeks. I think that was the moment he knew that we weren't giving her away. She was here to stay. Well, it took a little while but ever since then he's been nothing but sweet to her. If she's crying, he finds a toy to give her. And not just any toy. The other day he gave her FOUR of his cars. He NEVER shares his cars. That's how I know she's special to him. He also loves to kiss and hug her and tell her "it's okay Emma." Sweet! I'm very pleased and proud at what a good brother he's being. That's not to say he doesn't get a little rough sometimes. He doesn't quite seem to understand that he doesn't have to put a death grip on her little head when he's patting it. We're working on the gentleness factor right now. Anyway, here are some pictures of brother/sister love.



3 comments:

  1. Awe, great pics Kim! :) Glad to hear the adjustment is going fairly well. Can't wait to see you guys again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. precious pictures.
    I'm so glad the adjustment seems to be going well. Don't feel bad if you have a few setbacks...the boys still occasionally ask if Maya is here to stay.
    I love that he already wanted to share some of his toys. That is extra special! What a great big brother Emma has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures. Jake's hair is so beautiful. These remind me of the stories they told about my brothers and how proud they were of me when I was born. Sure hope we get to come see all of you soon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete