Monday, April 25, 2011

Tonsil update #2



Okay, here is the picture of Jake just seconds before they took him away to give him "happy gas" at the hospital. Mike is more of a techie than I am and was able to get it from my phone to the computer. Who would have thought we would live to see such a day when this would be possible? The technology is scary good these days.

We had prepped Jake as well as we could about what was going to happen to him. Mike took him to the appointment with the ENT where it was confirmed that the tonsils/adenoids needed to come out. On their way home, Mike asked Jake if he was going to miss his tonsils when they were gone. And Jake said that as long as they didn't take out his brain he would be fine. Amen.

This morning Jake literally bounded out of bed and declared himself to be all better! Then he requested a poptart. I tried to discourage it. But there was no stopping him from trying this morning delicacy. He took one bite, looked at me and said "my throat still hurts." It's such a heartache when you can't eat the food you want to eat.

I had my tonsils taken out at 21 or so. I was home from college on summer break. And I was the biggest baby. It hurt! It took me a full two weeks to recover. I still remember the day my mom told me that the Dr. had cut me off of my codeine pain killer. I believe I cried. I'm sure my parents did too. Because now they had a big baby on their hands with no pain medication. I also remember the night I lost it at the dinner table. It was probably a week into the healing process and I couldn't eat anything really solid or good. We sat down for dinner. My family were all having steak and baked potatoes. That is my favorite meal. I was having mashed potatoes. I felt my eyes start to well up sitting there and since I'm not a public cryer I leapt up from the table and ran to the bathroom where I slammed the door to cry in peace. Such a scene had never before been witnessed in our home. My parents came after me asking what was wrong and I just said "I want to eat steak." Pitiful.

Jake is doing much better than me. And even when he's crying or whining about it I have a feeling a lot of that is just for show. I don't want to say he's milking it, but I think he's milking it. And let's not forget that Jake could make Anne Hathaway at the Oscars look like James Franco at the Oscars. He is just that dramatic. Hopefully, the next tonsil update I do will be to declare him "all better." For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment