Saturday, September 24, 2011

Soccer!

Jake had his first soccer game ever today. We went to Academy on Thursday and bought him a ball and shin guards and socks and soccer shorts. He was all set. We even took him outside and practiced kicking the ball around. He was super excited to play soccer.

I figured he would be really good at this sport just because he is super fast and super agile. He always seems to be a bit more coordinated than other kids his age too. Well. We got to the soccer complex a little bit early because I wanted Jake to get the full practice time before the game started. Of course we wound up at the wrong field. That might not seem like a big deal, but we had already hiked a good ways to get to the field I thought he was playing at. So then we had to hike back and go a little bit further to get to the right place. By then we had pretty much missed out on the pre-game practice.

So basically, he was already tired from all the walking and was thrown into a game he knew nothing about. He handled it really well. He didn't have a clue about what he was doing but he followed the other kids around and had a smile on his face the whole time. The only time he didn't smile was when someone made a goal. Even if it was someone on his team. I could tell he was getting really discouraged because he wasn't making any goals. Looks like we'll have to work on sportsmanship and working as a team around here!

He played the first and third quarters. At the end of the third quarter he came and sat down with me, took his shoes off and said "mom, I'm done." He was so tired! He said he had fun though and he wants to go back next week so that's a plus. However, when I asked him what his favorite part of soccer was he said, with no hesitation, "snack time!"






And yes, he is the shortest one on his team. That jersey looks like a dress on him!

1 comment:

  1. The shirt that they gave me when I played soccer as an 8 year old fits me NOW. why can they not get shirts that fit kids? I am glad he had fun.

    ReplyDelete