Monday, September 22, 2008

Where I update you on my pregnancy

This pregnancy is a little different from the first one. I'm feeling way more sick to my stomach with this one and unfortunately, food is starting to turn me off all together. With Jake, all I had to do to feel better was eat something. With this baby, the thought of most foods makes me want to gag. Not that I'm not eating. Luckily, cheeseburgers never make me want to gag. But the smell of chicken boiling, the thought of anything to do with eggs, and oddly enough the smell of water are really getting to me right now. Preparing food or smelling food being prepared is equally sickening.

Also, I'm feeling really lazy. It takes a really big self pep talk to get me off the couch during Jake's nap time so I can actually accomplish something around the house. I'm just not motivated. I think I'll start documenting each day one thing I did that was productive. You know, just to give myself a goal. Something to reach for. I think I'll start that tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will also be going for my genetic counseling appointment for "mothers of advanced maternal age". I haven't been told I was advanced at anything since high school! I don't think they'll be doing an amnio or anything like that. I think it's just so these doctors can sit and tell me all of the things that could go wrong with this baby because I'm old and my eggs might be a little dried up and inferior right now. Looking forward to it! I really don't think I'm that old. I'll be 39 when the baby comes and my mom was 39 when she had me. Except for an occasional twitch and an uncontrollable winking in my left eye, I turned out okay. And I bet mama didn't have to have genetic counseling. Are they going to talk to the baby while we're there and tell him that it's okay to have a mama who will most likely be in some sort of home by the time he's in college? Just what kind of counsel will they be giving us? I may have to cancel the counseling session. It's during my morning nap time anyways.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you're not feeling well. There is nothing like that sickness. Sure wish I could come over and get Jake and keep him for you. The bad part will soon pass and you will have the "joy" of raising them for years to come. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mean to sound pessimistic. The joy is real, even when they slip out of their rooms in the middle of the night. (remember!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And people wonder why I only want to work with kids! Hope you get through this part soon. Chocolate should also react like cheeseburgers, yummy to the tummy!

    Put a whiteboard on the fridge, easy goals everyone can see and root for. and I am sure Jake wouldn't mind contributing an inspirational drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that this pregnancy is not going better. Hopefully it will get a bit better as you move through it. But what do I know...I'm way proud of you for evening doing this. I couldn't
    Take lots of naps and don't feel bad about it.
    And not sure if this will help or not...a friend is currently surviving on watermelon and rootbeer. Never know!

    ReplyDelete