Monday, July 26, 2010

Potty Training 101

After two lame, failed attempts at potty training I think we finally found the method that works for us. Yes, I'm happy to say that the little Mister is officially potty trained. At least when it comes to peeing. We're still working on the other thing. Apparently, that's a whole different can of worms. I'm hoping we're successful with everything before the boy enters Kindergarden.

So, here's what worked for us. My friend Katha sent me some info by a self proclaimed queen of potty training. Basically, it's how to potty train your child in three days. It was all good, sound advice. We spent three days at home with Jake wearing only his underwear and a t-shirt. We got rid of the diapers and told him he would no longer be wearing them because he is such a big boy.

I stayed glued to his hip for the next two days. I was supposed to be near him at all times so I could catch him right as he was going and whisk him off to the bathroom. By the end of the second day I was completely frustrated. I couldn't even catch him peeing! He went so little that by the time I noticed he was wet or he told me he was wet, he was all done. Nonetheless, we still went and sat on the potty every time for a minute. We were instructed to always be positive and to tell him a million times a day to let us know if he needed to go potty. Also, there was no sitting him on the potty for a few minutes just to try. We only put him there when he was actually going or had just finished going.

By the morning of the third day, I was ready to quit. I was tired of doing laundry and cleaning up messes. It just didn't seem to be sinking in with Jake. But, miracle of miracles on the third night around 7pm, he looked at me and said "Mama! I need to go tee tee!" We made it to the potty in time for him to go. We were all so excited. We ended up giving him a new Lightning McQueen car for his effort. Of course, that set a precedent of giving him "surprises" every time he goes potty. The kid is covered in tattoos and has eaten his weight in candy by now. I don't care. I'm delighted that he can do this!

Any ideas on pooping in the potty? We've told him that if he starts doing that he gets to go see Toy Story 3 with us. That's a pretty big incentive but it doesn't seem to be working. I could use some help here.

I also made him a little potty training chart. He loves to put stickers up everyday when he goes. I'm so proud of him! He hasn't had a single pee related accident in a week now during the day. Night time is also a different beast. So far he's had three nights out of nine with no wet bed. Here'a a picture of the chart. He really likes it.

4 comments:

  1. Just a side note....saw your start of the next post and did step away. I will not scroll down.
    I will say....wrong, wrong, wrong!

    Way to go Jake on the peeing!!
    It took my boys about a week to get over the fear of pooping on the potty. It's really common.
    I cannot believe you are night training too. How awesome is that if you can accomplish both at once. We kept the boys in pull ups at night and actually Kai is still wearing them. Cole moved to underwear about a year ago for bedtime. Every kid is different!
    For the pooping...just keep encouraging. Was he ever regular? Like before naptime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad i could protect you from the spider picture Laura!

    he's actually gone the last three nights with no accidents! he used to be a regular pooper but is no longer since we started the potty training. i have to get him there in the next month because his Mother's Day Out teachers are not gonna want to clean up poopy underwear and I don't want to have to put him in a pull up for school...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, if you figure out the answer, please let me know!!! My 3 1/2 year old is still struggling with #2. He's been in underwear for about 9 months now. Pees great (mostly - sometimes he gets lazy), and stays dry all night. But poo is an entirely different story. It is a big problem that he's not even close to regular. I've tried every trick in the book. Every incentive. And I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that there's nothing else I can do except be patient, try not to get mad when I'm changing dirty underwear and doing laundry every. single. day, and be positive and supportive to him, praising him when he succeeds. Sigh. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete