Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!

I think I can officially declare summer dead in central Texas. The temperatures have gone down to the high 70's in the day and the 50's! (my word!) at night. It. is. awesome. However, the death of summer brings with it the death of our tomato plants. Actually, our tomato plants pretty much gave up at the end of July because they were suffering from prolonged heat stroke. But for awhile we got some of the best tasting, pesticide free tomatoes around. My dad planted approximately 3000 tomato plants in his garden this year so a few weeks ago when they came to visit he restocked our supply of home grown veggies. I ate the last one two days ago. Sigh. It made the best tomato sandwich. Which brings me to the reason for this post.

The tomato sandwich is probably the best tasting, least marketed sandwich in the world. I never see it on the menu at restaurants. Sure you can get a BLT, but just a T? Not so much. So, I thought I would give ya'll the recipe that my daddy handed down to me and which is in fact a secret family recipe. You're welcome.


The first thing you need to do is buy yourself some nice, white bread. I prefer Mrs. Baird's. Yes, it has to be white. Although I did get a whole grain white bread that sounded sort of healthy. Yes, I know white bread is really not healthy. Then you cover each piece in mayo. My dad used Miracle Whip, but I like mayo. Your choice.


Next, slice up your tomato and lay the slices on the bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Here's the clincher. Put one or two drops of Tabasco on each tomato slice. Do NOT skip this step. I repeat, do not skip the Tabasco.


Eat your sandwich and delight in the simple goodness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment