Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Belated 4th!

We had a great fourth of July yesterday. We took Turbo to find a fireworks stand outside the city limits and bought him some sparklers, poppers, black snakes and a fountain. It was so fun to be in an actual fireworks store. Made me remember our family setting off fireworks on the outskirts of town when I was little. And then going home to light up the sparklers in the backyard. I think we always had homemade ice cream to celebrate. Turbo didn't get the ice cream, but he did get a chocolate cake along with some fried chicken, broccoli/rice casserole and a deviled egg salad. After the fireworks stand, we went to a Cabellas store. We had never been in one before and it was something else! They have a huge aquarium with big freshwater fish that T loved. For a quarter you could buy food and feed the trout that were stocked in a pond inside the store. They also had every wild animal you could ever imagine in the killed and stuffed variety. It's a little disconcerting to someone like me who prefers to see animals in their live state but the little boy loved it. In some ways it was better than a zoo because all of the animals were out on display instead of hiding or sleeping and he could get really close. Last week we learned what an elephant is and I tried to teach him the noise they make. So as soon as he saw the elephant in the store he started up with his noises accompanied by throwing his arm up in front of his face to pretend like it was his trunk. So cute. I have a feeling we'll be adding Cabellas onto our list of places to go to entertain T for free. Cabellas and Petsmart are going to get us through the summer!




3 comments:

  1. It's so good to get pictures again. I loved your rememberances of our July 4ths. Those were the best times so enjoy them while Jakey is little. We watched the fireworks at John Stiff Park across from the church. So pretty. It was just Dad, James & I this year. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make me work to see your blog why don't you!

    You are BRAVE...I am so afraid of fireworks. I don't know if my boys will ever see a sparkler. I'm just chicken I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I have to say I love your blog. You are such a talented writer! What you write, and no offense, but what happens in your life totally entertains me! Keep up the good work and I miss ya like crazy!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete