Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Smoky, The Bandit and Me

I love nicknames. A person's name is special and unique and is given to them based on knowing absolutely nothing about them. Let's face it, we as parents pick out names for our kids that we think are cute and maybe even meaningful but they have nothing to do with the kid's personality because a fetus hasn't really learned how to express itself yet.

But a nickname is something bestowed on you by people who have gotten to know you. And they can either be good or bad. I clearly remember as a first grader needing to shed the name my parents had given me and step out on my own. I wanted something different that would set me apart from everyone else. So I marched on up to Mrs. Cummings desk the first week of school and told her I wanted to be called Kimmie instead of Kim. Surely she could see by the look in my eye that I was a Kimmie. I mean Kimmie is just so much more fun and glitzy and with-it than Kim. She obliged and called me Kimmie the rest of the year.

To this day, some of my friends still call me Kimmie. And I'm serious when I say it makes me feel so special. I love it! I've been called different versions of it too. Like Kimmie Lou and Kimmie Van (complete with pictures, long story). When I got older I wanted a more sophisticated nickname but nothing ever really stuck. Except for Ferris-wheel and Beuller in junior high and high school. Not really what I had in mind.

My mom and dad always had the best names for me. This is the short list of the ones I remember. Short stuff. Shorty. Rinky-dink. Rinkledy-Dinkeldy. Little Bit. I think I was kind of small for my age maybe.

When I moved to California, in my adulthood no less, I got the absolute coolest nickname ever. And I'm sticking with it. Ya'll, my friends at work started calling me Kim Possible. Or KP for short. That's when I knew I had finally arrived in this world. That name has no limitations! All things are possible with a name like that!

But I'm thinking that my favorite name of all right now is Little Mama. And although it's not an original nickname created just for me, it certainly sums up life right now. I pretty much like it.

Okay, I've told you mine. Now let's make this blog thing a little more interactive. Tell me your nicknames. Come on, you know you want to.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the KP moment when the kids actually believed Joel, and we never let it go. It was awesome, just like you! I remember my mom calling me Tootsie and I just loved it! And to this day she is the only person allowed to call me Missy. Some recent additions that I find fun... Meli, Mish Mish, Misa (like Lisa with an M).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few. My personal favorite was Huckleberry. As in Huckleberry Finn. Eril was a popular on there for a little while. Few people I let get away with Mikey, but not many.

    ReplyDelete