Friday, February 4, 2011

Arctic Blizzard 2011


Okay, it snowed last night. We woke up to not the 2 to 3 inches the weather guys predicted but to a light dusting of snow on the ground. I was a little disappointed and may have said something to that effect. Mike told me that I am never happy with what I get. I don't think that's true. I'm perfectly happy when I get what I'm expecting. I may get a little unhappy when people promise me one thing but then deliver another thing. What can I say? I'm a work in progress. Anyway, under that dusting of snow is a layer of ice. So everything is pretty much closed around here. Mike doesn't have to go to class tonight and it looks like none of our neighbors have to go to work today.

After breakfast we bundled the kids up and headed out to join the neighborhood congregating in our street. We don't have gloves for the kids so we put socks on their hands. Wearing socks on your hands is cool for about one minute. Then you realize you are wearing a foot product on your hand and you want to take it off. The kids looked like they were setting foot on an alien planet. They didn't run out the door and immediately scoop up snow and start throwing it around. They were both very cautious and just stood around watching everyone else. So I decided to teach them to make snowballs. That is very hard to do with snow that doesn't pack. One of our little neighbor boys came over to learn also.







Emma lasted about ten minutes out in the cold before she started crying. Mike took her inside to warm up and Jake stayed outside with me another two minutes to build a snowman. Here he is. We call him Tiny.



After Tiny was made Jake told me he wanted to go inside because he DOES NOT LIKE THE SNOW!. He cried all the way inside. Once inside he cuddled up with Mike and Emma
on the couch and declared that he would "NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER" go outside in the snow again. I really wish he could learn to express his feelings.



Except for Mike don't they look pitiful after their ten minutes in the snow? I'm hoping it's nothing a little hot chocolate and homemade popcorn can't fix.

1 comment:

  1. I love the expression on Jake's face. You never have to wonder how he really feels about something.

    ReplyDelete