Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day in the life

Monday was a holiday from Mother's Day Out. We desperately needed to get out of the house for awhile. My poor children had not been anywhere or done anything fun in days because I was sick. Thanks to the wonders of modern medicine and a feisty cocktail of steroids and antibiotics laced with various allergy medicines I thought I could make it out the door for a short time.

We met some friends in Austin at the Science and Nature Center. It is such a great little place to go and it's completely free. They have various rescued animals to look at, trails, a dinosaur fossil digging sandpit and a creek. So we had three mama's, six noisy boys and Emma. Poor Em. I really need to find her some girlfriends.

Emma loved the animals. She especially liked looking at the coyote and the bobcat. Then she found her love of dinosaur bones. Or maybe it was just a love of putting sand in a bucket. But she could have stayed in the sandpit all day I think. Jake had an unfortunate shoveling accident that ruined dinosaur bones for him forever. They are dead to him.





My brave friend Katha led the boys on a wading expedition in a creek while we were there. I just didn't have the strength for it although I did have to do a little rescuing from the sidelines here and there. I'm glad she took the plunge because this was absolutely Jake's favorite part of the day. He couldn't stop talking about it. He was so soaked that he had to ride home in just his shirt and underwear but isn't that what boyhood is all about? Jumping on wet rocks, falling down and ditching your pants as soon as you possibly can? He was delighted.



And worn out. As soon as we got home he went and laid down. He wouldn't even get up to eat lunch. He just took a three hour nap on the playroom floor in nothing but his shirt, socks and underwear. Now, that's a good day!

1 comment:

  1. What happened to Jake and the dinasour bones? I'm glad you had such a nice day. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete