Saturday, January 21, 2012

Addicted

So I stayed up late a few nights last week and managed to read the entire trilogy of The Hunger Games books. I loved them! I don't think I've been so hooked on a series since the Harry Potter books came out. Well, okay there was also the Twilight series but I had to enjoy those in private because they were just so embarrassing. Although I'm done with the books, I'm still living with Katniss and Peeta in my head.

Speaking of hunger, this is what 40 pounds of chicken looks like.



Turns out 40 pounds of chicken is way more than I thought it would be. Why do we need 40 pounds of chicken, you ask? Well, let me tell you why. We don't. This is where I need to confess something. I have a recently developed problem. I'm currently working on it with my shrink, otherwise known as Amy. Here's the deal. One of the mom's of a child in my class at mother's day out has this blog called Saving with Shellie. I only discovered it a few months ago. I love it. She tracks down all of the good deals of the day and posts them for those of us who don't like to pay full price for anything. I found lots of good deals for Christmas presents. It's a great website and I recommend visiting it. However, it seems to have awakened some sort of beast within me.

First of all, you have to know that I always try to save money. I don't buy expensive clothes. I hardly ever buy clothes at all. We don't eat out much but when we do it's at moderately priced places and I probably have a coupon for the place. And I'm also the girl who will rinse out zip lock baggies and reuse them. Good for the environment and our bank account. That's a win win situation. We are not poor but we have to watch our money. The problem is that ever since I discovered Shellie's website, I've started buying things just because they are a good deal-not necessarily because we need them. Like when I bought myself a Keurig coffee maker that is regularly $149 for $85. Great deal, right? Except that when I bought it I didn't even like drinking coffee. But for $85 plus the cost of those little K-cups you can bet I learned to love it! In fact, I really look forward to my morning cup of coffee now. Then I bought a skin brush because everyone needs one of those, right? My bargain buying has become a problem. And that's why we now have 40 pounds of chicken in our freezer. Last week, she had a deal from Zaycon foods where you buy 40 pounds of boneless, skinless, steroid free chicken breasts and you get it for $1.67/lb. I couldn't resist. So, now we will be eating chicken every night for three months. Got any good recipes? Or any ideas about how to regain my sanity?

1 comment:

  1. super easy crock pot recipe. Chicken, 1 jar of salsa and 1 can of rotel tomatoes. Once the chicken is cooked shred it and put it back in to cook. I eat it for lunch with alvocado or on a lettuce wrap. Cna also be used in tacos or burritos.

    ReplyDelete