So last Wed. morning as we were getting ready for school our house was struck by lightning. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard. The kids and I all started screaming. Above the screams, I realized that something down the hall was hissing at me. It was our AC/heater unit. I didn't smell gas coming from it but I did smell something weird and I was a little freaked out. So I called Mike. He told me to get the kids and get out of the house. So I did.
I took about five minutes to look around the house and decide what I should take out in case our world blew up that morning. I did get the kids-each with a coat and a pair of shoes on although Emma wasn't wearing any pants and it was cold outside. I grabbed Jake's crab and Emma's favorite blanky. I grabbed my rings and I stuffed my laptop into my new Vera Bradley purse. I grabbed the dog but couldn't find the cat. Didn't even think about the lizard. And then for some reason I grabbed Emma's half eaten cereal bar in case we needed to eat after the house blew up.
We left everything in the house exactly as it was and ran for the car. Then I drove down the street and parked so I could watch the house while I called the gas company. The emergency line. They told me someone would be right out. Then they told me to go back in the house and open all the doors and windows. Now, I didn't want to go back in, but I did. I was hoping I could find my cat while I was in there. No luck. She wouldn't come to me and she wasn't in any of her favorite hiding spots. I went back out to the car.
Almost an hour later, the gas guy still hadn't shown up and the kids were getting restless. They wanted to play a game on a device that was still in the house. I debated about two minutes then I ran back in the house to get it. And this time I also found my cat. Finally, we had everything we needed. I wouldn't have to watch our house blow up knowing my kitty was bbq. The lizard was a whole different story. Sorry Scratchy.
So, finally the gas company arrived and decided the house was safe. There was a leak but it wasn't natural gas. It turned out to be freon. We also had some electrical damage and the modem for our computer got fried. We were without internet for 24 hours. That was the longest 24 hours of my life. $400 later everything is repaired and we are back in business. Pretty eventful day after my birthday!
Nothing that a few cuddles from these two can't make better.
My parents came to see us that morning and took me out for dinner that night. These are the two sweetest parents anyone could ask for. Later, Jake was talking to my dad about the morning. He mentioned that I was "vewy cwanky to Emma" during the whole thing. Possibly because Emma decided to throw a fit about putting on her shoes during this whole escapade. She threw herself on the floor and said she couldn't put on her shoes and, in fact, she couldn't even stand up anymore. Because there is no better time to play control games with your mama then during a possible life changing disaster.