Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer adventure #i think i'm killing us with these adventures


I haven't posted in a few days because my fingers have been too tired to type. My legs are too tired to walk. My brain is too tired to think. This is what over planning has done to me. Some people like to be constantly busy. I do not. I'm usually happy with one thing to do every day. With an occasional day thrown in where we do absolutely nothing.

So, why did I schedule swim lessons for the kids during the same week of VBS? Because it was the only week this particular swim instructor was going to be in our neighborhood. And I really didn't think it would be that bad. I thought we could handle it. But I was wrong. Jake could handle it. Emma Mae and her mama could not.

The kids had so much fun at VBS. I loved hearing them singing their new songs on the way home every day. FRIEND AIDEN! went with us so I was privy to some interesting conversations between Jake and his friend in the car each day. Hey boys? Talk about superheroes without ceasing!

My VBS class consisted of 13 very cute, very energetic two year olds. Immediately you can see why I'm tired right? We left the house at 7:30 each morning. Got home at 12:30 to shovel lunch in our mouths and then back in the car to make it to swim lessons on time. Jake and Em each swam for 45 minute sessions and then we were home by 3:30.

That is a normal day in so many people's world. But not ours. We totally missed rest time. I ate snack standing up. Oh, the humanity.

On the upside, Jake loved every minute of it. He thrived at swim lessons. The week before he gave up his swim floaties and he was just ready to swim. He even did some kneeling dives into the pool. I was so proud of him. Emma Mae loved her first lesson. Then she decided she didn't want to go back ever again. If you know Emma then you know this wasn't something she said just once. She whined. She cried. She threw fits. I did not give in. We're not raising a bunch of quitters around here. Really I was pretty sure this was just her old controlling ways rearing their ugly head again so I knew I couldn't give in to her demands. Because then she would have the upper hand. And that hasn't worked out so well for us in the past. Anyhow, by Thursday I was down to begging Mike to take her to her lesson. He did. She saw me there with Jake and started her whining. I left to hide in the back where she couldn't see me. Her instructor scooped her up and said "hey! no crying today." And she stopped. Problem solved. I was really proud of her too. She worked through her fear of getting her face wet and even swam a little ways all by herself by the end of the week.

Mike's dad and Sally came to visit late Wednesday night too. So the kids have also had their grandparents here spoiling them. Jake finally got to go on his first fishing trip with his grandpa. He was so excited. The fish didn't bite but apparently one stuck his booty in the air and said "na na na boo boo" at him. I didn't know fish were so childish.

To end our big adventures for the week we drove to Lockhart to eat at Black's barbecue. It was delicious.  And after stuffing myself with brisket I realized that I could go on to see another day. As long as another day included no set plans and a nice nap at the proper time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm exhausted just reading this. I like just one thing a day too. Then, a nap. :-)

    ReplyDelete